Capacity Enhancement on Abortion
Insufficient knowledge and awareness poses a major challenge for accessing Reproductive Options (Safe Abortion) by Lesbian, Bisexual, Queer and Transgender persons (LBQT). Strengthening implementing team’s capacity in dealing with Reproductive Options brings us a step closer to inclusion of LBQT persons in the Reproductive Options agenda where we have long been silenced and excluded.
Part of our intervention to address this; was taking the implementing team through a capacity enhancement to be well versed with safe right-based terminologies, legal aspects and guidelines on reproductive options in Kenya that will give the organization credibility during implementation.
Some of the topic discussed included;
- Abortion Facts and Figures
- Complication from unsafe abortion
- Why unsafe abortion
- Whether unsafe abortion can be eliminated by the laws
- The Legal and Regulatory framework of abortion
- International and Regulatory framework of abortion
- Regional instruments and policy documents
- General Comments and Concluding Observations by Human Rights Treaty Bodies
- The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (SDGs)
- The National legal and Regulatory Framework
- Court decisions relating to abortion
- Accessing safe abortion in Kisumu-Kenya
- Recommendations on how the implementing team can affect its advocacy on issues of safe abortion.
This was in partnership with Trans Support CBO